Sunday 16 December 2012

Better









I was right about Ben and the WHW although I must say we were a push-over. We're signed up to another stint at supporting. We had a good night in North Berwick anyway. Eating and even some drinking took place! I unbent from my strict regime enough to have mulled wine and a mince pie. Pretty nice.

We didn't get home until about 1am. As we came into Leith we realised that we'd been missing the Christmas Night Out night of the year. There were four police vehicles in attendance outside a hotel next to the links with party people spilled out all over the pavements. It looked like the police had it in hand but we didn't envy them the job...

I woke up late today but having slept really well and I thought I'd get out another wee run just to see how things were going. I'm still a bit short of breath and high in heart beats but I was much better than yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny, windless day and I felt tremendous just because I was running along and my lungs were working and my heart-rate was steady. So simple.

I was remembering when I first started running round the road at Arthur's Seat. I lived in Leith back then too, (early 90s) and had two runs - the Granton Run, which was 7 miles taking in some cycle-path, going up past the botanics, onto Ferry Road, down Granton Road and then back along the water to Leith - and the other run was twice round the Leith Links. I tried running more times round the Leith Links but it was too boring. Eventually I thought in order to vary it I should try running round Arthur's Seat. At the time it seemed pretty adventurous. The first few times I ran up that road it was a serious endeavour. I remember telling myself that I could run as slowly as I needed to but I was just to keep running. My breathing was embarrassing and I had to stop myself thinking about how I might appear to passers-by. Today probably wasn't that different.

I generally take Monday and Tuesday off running because its hard to fit in with the other things I have to do, so I'll probably do that, and then, all being well, go for something more ambitious on Wednesday.

Meanwhile I've accidentally entered the Promathon on New Year's Day, which may well be a bit of a jog - and then, further ahead, the Forfar Multi Terrain half marathon (again!) because its filling up fast and if I didn't act now I would miss out. I would like to do the new hill race in Selkirk (info here) on January the 19th but I guess I'll have to wait and see how I am. Then there's the Carnethy Hill Race in February....

3 comments:

runtwo said...

Great to hear things are feeling better for you. Might see you along at the promathon on NYD!

Yak Hunter said...

Thanks Brian. Did you see the Promathon is entry on-line only this year via entry-central?

runtwo said...

Mary, yes I did, better get my skates on!