Thursday 9 August 2012

The Granton Gallop


I had today off because I worked an extra shift last Friday. I had it all worked out that I was going to go to the gym for an introductory session and get started doing some strength training so that when the doctors get around to fixing me I will be bionic. But when it came to it, it was a nice sunny summer's day and I'm going to be working all day tomorrow - 8.30 - 12.30 up at the Sexual Health Centre and then 2-8 out with the Intensive Home Treatment Team.   I realised that I would much rather just be outside. I settled on the unglamorous Granton Run, an 8 mile route I've devised over the years. Leith Docks and Granton don't offer the gentle beauties of the countryside but they have something. Wide pavements and not too many people, and its nice to run along beside the sea.

I set off at what was for me, in my new format, quite a brisk pace, not because I'd planned to but because I felt like it. To summarise, 8 miles at 8.40 pace. It was hard but enjoyable and by far the best I've run post atrial fibrillation. Presumably I'm adapting to the medication. I am delighted.


No comments: