Sunday 10 June 2012

Dechmont Law 10K 2012











We last did this race in 2002, enjoyed it at the time and have always meant to go back but other things got in the way, so when it turned up as a championship race this year we were always going to do it. Actually its possible one of us suggested it but neither of us is sure. Another 10 years doesn't make you any smarter. Or faster....

Peter ran it only a bit quicker in 2002, by 23 seconds, but I think the course might have been dryer, quicker and possibly even shorter. Since then he's got loads better and then hurt his stupid foot. Sadly, I was more than 3 minutes slower - I did get better after 2002 but have slowed again, obviously...this is me trying to speed up again.

Anyway, to the race! There have been some belting rainstorms since yesterday so while it wasn't actually raining during the race there were some very muddy bits. Both Peter and I thought we'd gone round the same loop 3 times to start with but the course map and the Garmin both say no!  After a couple of smaller loops anyway we were set free on a very nice run down through the woods along beside the motorway. The marshalling was exemplary, being provided mostly by the army but also by one alien. Clearly, Livingston being close to Bonnybridge may have influenced matters here. The highlight for me, and a few others I spoke to was towards the end of this stretch running fast downhill through a very dark wood, high trees on either side. Then it was back to do another tortuous loop or so and then a nice downhill to the finish.

The finish line was very efficient too - bar-coded numbers providing a nice touch. They had 2 systems going - written results and bar-code results simultaneously. They were handing out original glazed ceramic medals - interesting goody bags and there was cake and bananas on hand to refuel. Very soon my calorific intake had probably out-stripped my calorific output and the day when I am allowed to wear a Portykini seems to get ever further away...

I'd managed to pip my fellow age-grouper Aileen Ross to the post so I get to take home a nice shiny 10 championship points. In the wider world of glory our Johnny Lawson just missed out on the prizes in 4th, Yana was 3rd lady despite the fact she's just coming back from injury and not used to this off-road Malarkey, Shery was 1st LV and the men won 1st team.  The Porty ladies were 2nd team but I would have been their 4th counter, or 1st non-counter, depending how you look at it, proving that not only is there no "I" in team there's also no Mary in team. Or not this time.

So another weekend hurtles down the dark tunnel towards the week to come....there are probably things I should have done.

2 comments:

runtwo said...

Sounds an interesting and very well organised 10K. Many years ago (mid 70s I seem to recall) there was a very famous 'alien incident' on Dechmont Law. I was brought up in Livingston in the 70s and it was big, if somewhat spooky, headline news...sure if you google it you will find out more!

Yak Hunter said...

ahah! maybe that explains the alien then. Found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_incident