Monday 22 July 2013

A sneaky start to the week!


Actually it was a nice start to the week. Just as everyone was going back into work I snuck up to do 10 miles in the misty Pentlands. The sun had gone into hiding and the cloud cover was low. The air was damp. It was a relief. I can only take so much scorching.

Last time I did this run it took me 1 hour and 1 minute to get up to the top of Scald Law. I remembered that as I was in striking distance and I had a handful of minutes to go so I nearly killed myself getting there in 59m 31s. Here I saw the only other person of the day. He emerged out the mist from the other side of the Law. I could barely acknowledge him I was breathing so hard.

That was the only trying hard of the day. The rest was just going along steady. It was nice and quiet, not much wind. The heather and the damp peaty earth smelled fantastic.

I was relatively fresh today because while Peter was out getting beasted by Graham Henry yesterday, I ran to Tesco's and back ( 2.71 miles) to get new photos for my driving licence. It was a fool's errand. These new rules about getting all your hair off your face and not smiling for official photos aren't making things any better. The photo on my passport looks like Hitler. I've got kind of a stern face when I don't smile. The ones I got at Tesco's weren't any better so I've renewed on-line. They'll use my passport photo. Hitler it is.

3 comments:

Climbingmandy said...

Well done Mary. There's no better feeling than getting ahead in the week of running! I on the hand have booked an appointment with Guy... Gilmores Groin again I fear. Watch this space....

Yak Hunter said...

Oh Amanda, I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully you've caught it early. Someone should tell that Gilmore to keep his groin to himself...
Good luck with Guy.

idleage said...

Hitler had a bit of hair down over his forehead and also across his upper lip, so I doubt if they would have accepted his photo.