Saturday 1 August 2009

Day 3, Up Hell Time Trial






The evening of day 3 and the weather broke as we made our way up the becoming familiar A92. Peter had a nap so I got to listen to the good music from the 80s...

We parked at the side of the road near the start not realising that most people would park at East Lomond carpark and then drive down afterwards, so we never saw the hill until we were running up it. A good thing too, I'd say.

When I'd heard that it was 1.4 miles uphill I kind of thought yeah but there'll be flattish bits, there always are...but there wasn't. What a hill.

We were set off in twos at 30 second intervals and there's something about waiting for your start that pumps up the adrenaline. When it came my time to start I bounded off as if in a 100m sprint and very soon my lungs and legs were burning. I had to try and steady myself after that without giving in. It was an encouraging run. I was passing folk all the way. All that time in the hills in the last 2 years and Gordon's hilly sessions at club have made me better on the uphills than the flat.

I was in a bad way at the end but also knew I'd run well. Cooled down a lot waiting for Peter to come in. Looking at the results I'm more than 20 places further up the field than I have been in the past 2 races.

I am so so impressed with the organisation of these races and the handling of the results. All my results have been completely accurate and they're out in no time.

Tomorrow's race is in Tentsmuir forest about 10 miles north of St. Andrews. Another new place to run. We're just getting into the rhythm. What will we do on Monday when we don't have to drive somewhere and race?
Thanks David S of Fife for live action photos.

No comments: