Sunday 4 February 2018

Not very long long run.


Peter and I had just been talking about Ben Kemp the other day, and thinking we hadn't seen him in ages and wondering how he was getting on, when, as happens sometimes, he got in touch and wondered if Peter wanted to go for a run. I was invited but I didn't want to go with them. I'm half broken and anyway I needed to at least try to do a long run - the marathon is getting closer and closer and so far the training is a complete fail! My legs have been a lot better, but not great. I had no idea if I could get away with a long run today or not. I thought I'd try for 18. I know a route from North Berwick along the road to Aberlady and then back along the shore which is pretty much 18. I dropped off Peter at Ben's and set off myself.


Leaving the car and not all that keen.

The weather looked a bit iffy this morning and it was raining a bit as we drove to North Berwick. We hoped it would pass. My legs were okay for the first 2 miles and then my knees started to ache. 2 miles into a long run that isn't that encouraging. I kept going until Gullane but by the time I got there they were frankly sore. I got a coffee from the Village Coffee House and drank it in the graveyard, while taking joke photos with the terrible camera on my phone. I hadn't taken a camera with me and I wouldn't normally take a phone but Peter and I had hatched a plan so that he might run back to where I was and get some extra miles in after he'd seen Ben, so we needed a means of communicating. I was cheesed off about my knees, but not all that surprised. The coffee was good and the sun came out and it seemed like a fair idea to try running back from Gullane via the beach and trails. Maybe my legs would be happier with that.



Undead.



Surprising.


I didn't think for a moment that Peter's plan to meet back up with me would work out or happen. I figured he'd be caught up in whatever he was doing with Ben. However, at Yellowcraigs my phone went off and it was him wondering where I'd got to. He ran back towards me and we met up just round the corner from NB. I had been intermittently running better  but my legs were really stiff. I was glad of something to lean on so I could stretch my quads.




Back at NB I got a wade in the water which is fast becoming one of my favourite things. After that the last little bit of running to the car was the best I'd felt all day. Maybe there's a 10K option on the Manchester marathon weekend? I must have a look and see. Anyway, what will be will be. It was lovely to be out in the sunshine for a change.





Peter kindly tied my laces because I just couldn't.


And there was a pink sky at night.



No comments: