Sunday 25 February 2018

Long run











Well you know it should have been 20 but 18 will have to do. I started at Gullane and ran east round Aberlady Bay and then back into Gullane. I thought if I took the east wind in the face on the road that would be better. Before Gullane I was asking myself "what's my motivation for this?" though. It was only 6 miles in. I stopped and had a coffee and a pastry out the Co-op. It was crunch time. Was I a runner or just a food-eater?

I tried to accept the void and run on. The oh my god there is no part of me that wants to run a long run void. I just couldn't bail out of another one.

Part of my plan was that I'd get the unpleasant part out of the way so that by North Berwick it would be a nice run along the beach with the wind behind me. That worked well. The sand was beautifully flat. For some reason I was attracting all the puppies. "It'll be your smell" says Peter. Yeah, thanks.
He wasn't there though. It was afterwards he said that.

I thought the run would only be 18 miles but I thought I might have the strength of character to tack on an extra two when I got to the car. It turns out I didn't though. I also thought I might soothe my tired legs in the refreshing sea when I was finished, but it would have meant guddling about changing into something else. My leggings are too tight to roll up. That's what happens when you're a cheapskate and the smaller sizes are on sale.

Anyway. I'm glad I've done it. Time to do something else.

No comments: