Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Sick Day

If this pony ever learns to read it will be livid.

After Sunday's Submergathon, Lucy was ill on the Monday. I'd had some cold bugs floating around in my head myself and on Tuesday when I woke up in the morning I had a hot head and a stuffy nose and I felt kind of out of it. I phoned and cancelled my clients for Wednesday thinking I'd take it easy, get better quick and not spread my bugs about where they weren't needed.

I'm sure it was the right thing to do. I woke up at 4.30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Got up, ate breakfast, took my turn at Scrabble on line, read some stuff and then went back to sleep until 10.30am. It was nice not having to worry about being at places for certain times or any of that. When I woke up the 2nd time I had a stonking headache, but also wanted to get out the house for a while. Unless I can't get up at all I feel imprisoned staying in, so I thought I'd take the car to Cramond and do the airport run. It was going to be an easy peasy run with stops for taking photos. I thought it was just about 5 miles.

It's been a while since I've been there and it was a good idea. The sun came out from time to time, the clouds were piled high in the sky. I was completely sheltered from the West Wind by the trees all around me. I took it dead easy and my head was a lot better after a mile and a half or so.

Peter had mentioned that more places had become available for the Borders XC series and I had snorted my indifference. I am a runner-mystic these days, not a competitive runner. Running under the trees made me think again though. I like quirky courses. If I can just not worry about how much slower I am now than I used to be I could actually enjoy it.

So anyway, I saw berries and spider's webs, I possibly saw the nice doctor who did my ablation out with three spaniels, but my eyes are hurting so maybe it wasn't him. He had a green gown on last time I saw him. I got a big smile anyway.

I'd forgotten how exciting it is getting so near the airport. Planes are landing and taking off all the time. The sound is tremendous. I got that holiday rush just listening to it. Taking off is like leaping into the unknown...

My memory had distorted the distance and it was actually 7.5 miles, but I was quite happy with that. Despite being ill I was starving when I got home. I went onto entry central and there were 5 places left for the XC so I bagged one and now there are four. I already have it sorted in my head that since Sunday is swimming outdoors day we can go swimming after each cross-country. Maybe it's going to be a winter of colds and flu!

No comments: