Sunday 5 January 2014

Old Calton Cemetery











Low speed, low heart rate recovery day. But where to go? There's too much temptation to try and do the usual 4 mile route faster - which is counter-productive. So I went up Leith Walk and turned left onto Regent Road. I noticed the Old Calton Cemetery (famous, rightly or wrongly, for its nighttime activity) was open and I don't think I've ever been there - or at least not in the last 2 decades, so I took a detour and went in.

Its sepulchral, mossy green sternness was the perfect accompaniment to the leaden grey skies and the chill, damp air. As I was buzzing my gas I thought "this is as good as it gets".

I'm only kidding of course. It wasn't me that was buzzing gas.

Then I ran down that street with the American Consulate on it and thought bitter thoughts about wealthy people. Nice houses. I would like one. But then I'd only run 2 miles and that would never do, so I went back along London Road to the top of Easter Road and stopped worrying about wealthy people. Old men smoking in pub doorways watched me wordlessly as I ran past. Pretty soon I was home.

Only 3 miles but I couldn't be bothered making up more convoluted loops in order to make up the difference. I'll live to fight another day.

I think the rest of the day's activities will be in-doors and near the heater based. Meantime Peter and Graham Henry are out for a 40 miler...good luck to them.

No comments: