Saturday 27 January 2018

The Nature Cure

I tried going out for a run on Thursday morning, but it was short-lived. Sharp pains up the side of my right knee told me to pack it in or I'd be off running for a month. So I gave in. I was better than I had been on Wednesday. I never have time to run on a Friday so I knew I wouldn't be trying again until Saturday. Cycling is fine and I enjoyed the commute to work on Friday just to get some time outdoors.

Today I went a run up the street before we headed to Gullane. Both knees hurt more than I wanted them to but I figured my legs would loosen off as I went.

At Gullane it wasn't great. I had a dull ache in both knees that wasn't getting worse but wasn't getting any better either. Stopping and stretching would loosen them off but then they'd tighten up again.
Once we got back to the beach and nearly back to the car I thought I should go and use the sea as an ice bath. There was no way my compression tights were for rolling up so they had to come off. I'd forgotten the sheer self-harming buzz of going in the winter sea. First time in it was like someone was squeezing my legs in a vice. Second time in was a little easier. Third time in wasn't hard at all and afterwards my legs felt very - fresh!!!!

They're still not too bad now, which is a good sign. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Peter's off on a 30 miler with the big boys which takes the pressure off me.










No comments: