Monday 25 August 2008

Ochil 2000s race






















Finally the rain stopped and the clouds lifted and we had good visibility for the Ochil 2000s race. Judith and I ran most of the race together with Judith providing all the route guidance, especially over the tricky bits. We went wrong a few times but never far wrong. Some people definitely got ahead unseen though. Judith, at the end, was already talking about further recces so we can nail it next year.



We made good steady progress over the first "half" up to Ben Ever. After that the line you take becomes increasingly important. There was a lot of wallowing in very wet bogs and high-stepping over tufty ground.



By the foot of Dumyat Judith was complaining that her legs were gone. My legs had been complaining for miles. It was a dry day and a long way and a lot of people got cramp.



I was already pleased with the progress we'd made but saw two V40 women ahead and as it was a Scottish Hill Running Championship race thought I should do my best to pick them off. I set off at a walk/run up Dumyat and my ascending was still reasonable. I passed the V40s and tried to get out of sight, knowing that they are stronger than me on the downhill. It didn't take them long to catch back up to me though and as I stupidly ran the long way round a path I turned and saw them slip over a fence and away ahead.



Some of the terrain on the final descent was a bit cruel. Very steep descent down wet banks. I tiptoed down gingerly as some V60 men bounded by. I followed Charlie Love down to the finish which was mercifully close after coming through the hole in the wall onto Stirling Uni campus. If my 18 year old self had looked out her window at Geddes Court and seen me running by having run 20 miles through the hills she would have got a shock!


Judith came in about a minute behind.


We were both pleased with the way things had turned out.

No comments: