Saturday 14 September 2019

More sausage than he usually gets.

So what's happening?

Well not much, thanks for asking. Peter was away in Spain for a week. I was working most of the time. I'm not exactly signed up for a race, but I'm on a waiting list. You had to enter in advance for the Pentland Skyline this year, which had entirely gone by me. Maybe it's been like that for a while. Obviously, being over 50 now, I like the way they used to do things in the old days. I miss the days when the Skyline was enter on the day and cost £5. I could be wrong, but I don't think it even used to hurt. It used to be fairly easy. I ran it rather well.

So I might get offered a place in a race. Seemed like an idea to train - just in case. I set off for the Pentlands early last Saturday.

At first I thought I might do a dawn raid and arrive for sunrise and all that. Things happened. Plans were changed. I set off from Flotterstone car park at 7.50am. I was hoping the cows wouldn't be loose over the path up Turnhouse. I get better at cows when I'm doing them all the time but after a spell away my cowphobia comes back. I was so relieved to see that they were in a distant field as I crested the first mound on the way up T-house, that I stopped to celebrate and take a picture. Just at that moment a deer came out from the woods on the right hand side and then sproinged away to my left through the bracken.



After that I kept on slowly and steadily. It was actually a bit more windy and cold than the forecast had said, so I felt under-dressed and I didn't hang about. I thought I'd do the high tops up to Scald law and then cut down before East Kip and take the path between the hills to Black Hill and head back that way.



It was warmer after that. I went over Black Hill, Bell's Hill, Harbour Hill, Capelaw and then round the back of Castlelaw to get back to the car.



Big dragonfly on Black Hill. My fb friends in the know say it's a female common darter laying eggs.






On Wednesday I was off and Peter finally made it back after getting held up over night in London in the BA strike. I expected him to be complaining bitterly but the all-you-can-eat buffet in the free hotel they put him up in had done a lot to ease any frustrations he had. We went a run around Gullane just because and I got the first draft of the Spanish Blog. We discussed possible titles. "More sausage than I'm used to" was one possibility.



Butterfly Free

Last night it was the Harvest Moon. It was a cloudy evening and we woke up to a cloudy day.



We thought about going to the Pentlands, but neither of us could really be bothered. We went for a turn round the shore at Gullane instead. Peter gave me the 2nd draft of the Spanish blog. I put up some protest as I often do. "I've heard that before. You're just trying out your stories on me. I'm a real person with feelings." He acknowledged that that might be so, but in a short while he continued anyway.  My mind glided off like a gull on a strong westerly. At one point I had a thought. "It's just as well you had done all those Tynecastle Bronzes, you would have known exactly what you were doing." I pronounced. He looked at me side-ways. "Yes. I just said that." "Oh."




Not camp at all.


Anyway it was nice. I'm off to do something and then have dinner.

2 comments:

NickWill75 said...

I feel obliged to point out that he was consuming Spanish sausage, and nothing supplied by me 😉

Yak Hunter said...

Haha. 70s style double entendre is the BEST. :-)