Tuesday 6 November 2018

Where have I been?

Did I forget I had a blog?

Yeah I don't know what happened. I'm going to take some photos from every set I've taken since I last saw you and work my way through them.



The day after the Parkrun we went a run up into the Pentlands to photo-spectate the Skyline. This got kind of hectic as we set off in plenty of time and then got caught up in the diversion off the A702 down past Bush and into Penicuik. By the time we got back on the A702 and were heading back towards Flotterstone, the clock was ticking. We thought we might park at the start of the Carnethy 5 and run up from there, but then tried to push on to Flotterstone. We ended up taking tiny B roads - if they even are B roads -  and getting to Flotterstone after the race had already started - so we set out at full tilt instead of gently warming up - and headed up Turnhouse as fast as our legs would take us. It turned out Peter's legs would take him faster than mine would take me, so I stopped a mile up where the witchy trees are and Peter pressed on to the top.

It was very exciting seeing Eion Lennon in contention early on. He had the presence of mind to say hello whereas my workload (chewing gum and walking, something like that) had used up all my channels of intelligence and I couldn't respond.



Peter and I regrouped at Carnethy and headed down to the Howe and between the hills and up Phantom's cleugh to Harbour Hill. We'd missed the leaders but saw the front of the field coming through.

This photograph caused quite the stir on facebook, with a caption competition. Anyway, Nicola strode home to victory after doing the Manor Water Hill Race the day before. I like nearly everything Carnethy HRC does but I kind of think they could do a Manor Mouse and (wo)Man or Mouse prize, because Nicola did such a good job, but I didn't hear her complaining. It's not like she's never won anything before.

and then during the week I went a wee run up Calton Hill

and it's nearly winter because I've started seeing sun-rise again. I think this house across the road has a baleful look in its eyes, which is how I feel about the winter coming too.

And then one Sunday I went a run up the Water of Leith and saw this lovely apple. I don't know where Peter was. Maybe on a Tynecastle Bronze with Nick.


At the end of that run I saw this lovely tree.


And then there were runs up Arthur's Seat with all the autumn leaves falling.

And I was seeing sunsets as well as sunrises. Pretty, but I don't like what they mean.

Spring took such a long time to come this year I feel like I'm being put back in my cage too early.

Peter and I went a run round Yellowcraigs and back through the woods and saw these pretty deer.

And then another day I went a run on my own along Portobello and ran into Tony Stapley and "the boss". She didn't look nearly as stern as he'd always made her out to be.
It was an odd day. I'd had some kind of a funny turn at home and entered next year's Edinburgh Marathon. Then I went out for a 15 miler round the lagoons. Meeting Tony was excellent, and....


then meeting Aileen Ross was also excellent. We had a long chat about how we knew we should be doing strength training but just kept not doing it.


But running round the lagoons wasn't so excellent. God I hate that road. I know every inch of it. Like I know every inch of the Edinburgh Marathon. I hope they change the route. I don't care where it goes. I hope it goes over Corstorphine Hill and the castle and Arthur's Seat, just not along that bloody road to Aberlady and back.


Next Sunday it's due to be the very last Tynecastle Bronze. Peter was kicking around ideas for making a route that would start out of town and make its way back into Edinburgh. He was thinking about a route he knew from West Linton. As it happened, last Sunday there was due to be a stiff South-Westerly wind which I quickly realised would blow us over the Pentlands from West Linton to Balerno nicely, so I proposed we go and recce it.

It was a great day out. We ran along at a bimble, stopping to take photos whenever we liked. At Balerno we stopped at the Grey Horse and, uncharacteristically, I had a pint of Wee Beastie and a packet of peanuts, after which I was for staying in the pub, but Peter persuaded me we'd be better off going home. It was good fun though, and whetted my appetite for getting out on more adventures.













Nearly there. Yesterday I went out a recovery run but the weather was so nice and warm I stayed out for ages taking pictures up Arthur's Seat.






And today it was an altogether more moody day and, having taken the week off my NHS work, instead of heading to work, I headed up to Corstorphine Hill.








My legs are feeling surprisingly good and the running bug is biting deeply again. There are a few adventures ahead planned that may well sort that out. Next Sunday is 11/11/18 and we're heading out en masse to do the 30 miler from West Linton back to Leith. I'm going to try to do the whole thing.

Then in December on the weekend of the 8th and 9th, it's the Water of Leith half followed the next day by the new Blackford and Braids trail 10K.

And then in January I've signed up for the Feel the Burns Hill Race. I think I've entered it 3 times, but I've never actually run it yet.  Wish me luck.

No comments: