Wednesday 1 August 2018

The weekend that's just been - back on the bench.






It was all going so well. Peter had to do stuff with his mum on Saturday morning so we never got out until late. God is rumoured to look after drunks and little children and I think this might extend to slightly disorganised people. It had been raining in the morning but we arrived at Flotterstone well into the afternoon and, only hesitating a moment to have a big piece of cake and a coffee each, set off up into the hills.

I had kind of an idea that we should just run down the hills to South Black Hill and then come back the way we'd come. Peter wanted to come back over Black Hill though, and I conceded, curious to see how dry it was. The legendary bog at the top was nearly completely dry and it was easy running. My legs and feet were protesting a bit by this point, as I haven't been doing all that much in the way of hills and I was wearing my very lightest Inov8s. I belatedly remembered I had bought those shoes  with cross-country in mind. My feet were sore but that's par for the course. We threw in Bell's Hill for good measure and then took the stony path and then road back to F'stone.

The next day my left leg was a bit sore and we didn't get out at all as the heavens had finally opened and there was rain pretty much all day. I half thought about going out on my bike but I don't want to rust it up. It was actually quite good. We tackled some jobs that we never do, like unplugging the drain hole at the back of the fridge so the fridge stops drooling. Maybe if it rained for 40 days and 40 nights we'd do some decorating.

On Monday the pain in my legs had switched to my right side but it wasn't that bad so I thought if I did a flattish run I'd get away with it. I did the usual Granton run with a detour out onto Granton Pier and back. There were a lot of fisherman arrayed along there - some of them normal, and some of them not entirely.
Anyway, the run was fine, if a bit slow and I thought I was okay, but later that day my knee and ankle on my right side were sore, and then worse on Tuesday, so's I was actually limping. Today they're a bit better but I wasn't chancing a run.

I just entered the Philiphaugh Hill Race the other day as I've been so beautifully injury free. I didn't have any ideas of an all out race but I remember liking the course and it's a manageable distance and a nice organiser. I paid for both of us since it's only £5 each, telling Peter if we can't do it it's for charity anyway. I can't help but feel there's a connection between my entering the first race in months and suddenly being brought up sharp with an injury. Bah!

I had an hour free this morning anyway so I went out on my new bike instead and I actually had a really nice cycle, most of it off-road, and it was good to get out moving pain free.

No comments: