Wednesday 4 April 2018

Swimmolade


Well sadly my marathon training has ground to a complete halt. After a middling run on Friday and then an hour on the bike on Saturday my right knee seized up completely - not right away, but overnight. Sunday morning was forecast to be sunny and Peter and I had planned to go and do an easy run around Gullane. We hadn't been there for weeks. It was not to be though.

It was not to be for me because it turned out I couldn't walk - well not normally - let alone run. It was not to be for Peter because a crisis was developing at his mum's house. So it's a long story but instead of going for a run on Sunday, we spent the day replacing a carpet in his mum's bathroom with vinyl flooring. I wasn't good at bending or walking or going up and down stairs so I was of limited use. Well I was good at driving the van. It wasn't what either of us was expecting but actually it was laugh and I quite enjoyed it.

I'd already decided on the Saturday that Manchester was a daft idea and I wasn't going, so there was no need for my leg to underline it quite so heavily.

As you all know it's been raining and snowing every day of this glorious Easter.

Today me and Buchanan went and braved the pool together. I had no idea how it would be, but my knee doesn't affect my kick for front crawl at all, so I was relatively less disabled in the water. If I can find the necessary self-discipline I'll go some more. I always want to be a better swimmer but I'm not quite ready to put in the necessary work to get there - especially if running's an option, but at the moment it's not.

I cycled to work and back yesterday too and I'm alright once I get going and applying an even pressure. Getting my right leg on the pedal is pretty sore and I'm afraid I was screwing up my face and making a noise every time I had to.

I wanted to walk to and from the pool just to be outside, despite the sleet and my gait, which is like Frankenstein's monster's. It was Leith, so nobody gave me a second glance.

No comments: