Monday 16 October 2017

and then Gullane again

They're burning Peter's best butterfly bush! Hope the ticks get them.





This makes me think of the Fall of Icarus.







So after all the excitement of two weekends racing, and nearly winning and everything, it was a relief to get back to the shore. The wind was blowing hard and Falko's is now gone. The Gannet's Deli always seems to be closed so we got our coffee at the Village Coffee House. I say "we", but what I mean is I sat in the car while Peter obligingly went out coffee hunting. Came back with jammy scones too. Nice.

P hates the winter and had already been anticipating and bemoaning that there would be no wildlife as we drove to Gullane. What could he get obsessed about now? If only we were interested in people, there are streets full of them everywhere. But they're no good. Neither pretty nor interesting.

I realised when we got there how tired I was. It really was an effort to get out the car. But once we got moving, it was quite warm, despite the wind, and we started to have fun. But round at Aberlady nature reserve, on the way to the beach, we smelled smoke and then spied a burning bush and then saw to our horror that middle-aged people in stupid hats were burning down Peter's best butterfly bush. I don't know how Peter felt, but I was in shock - and I hurried him past. But what in the hell did they think they were doing? He's emailed the ranger to ask.

And on down to the beach. We'd promised ourselves to do no stupid sprint sessions on the sand following racing. We did it after a hard Pentlands run before and Peter strained a glute and I got the worst DOMs I'd ever had. So we kept it nice and even.

We extended the run to the woods, just to see if we could see any deer or anything - but nothing was showing itself at all. Just people and dogs. No points for that at all.

Today we're awaiting Hurricane Ophelia and the sky was a dirty brown this morning, and it poured with rain. I realised after a while that I wouldn't be going out a run at all. I am absolutely knackered. I had no ambitious plans for the day except going for a deep tissue massage up the road with Juan. Any fool can just lie on a table, so that's what I did.

Not looking forwards to cycling to work tomorrow in the hurricane winds - but taking the bus is just so boring.

No comments: