Sunday 28 June 2020

Another 2 weeks

 Right, what will we talk about today? Time will tell.

The day after the race we felt pretty wrecked but I wanted to get a few more miles in for the week. It was hard for either of us to get going and it looked wintry outside so we both wore long-sleeve woollen tops. Outside we went and discovered it was one of these stinking, hot, humid days, but were too lazy to go all the way back upstairs and get changed.
Peter said we should go round Arthur's Seat and I fell for it. Before I knew it, we weren't running at all, we were clambering through undergrowth looking for the next butterfly, the newest emergence...ah God. I didn't have the energy to argue. So I plodded around glumly looking for things to photograph while monsieur scurried here and there.




 





















During the week I ran about the deserted centre of town by myself.












Last Saturday, the sun was back. Peter exercised his bike down to Gullane to chase butterflies and I set off with a vague notion that I'd do some of the 7 hills route. 


 



 
Clermiston Tower - in case you were wondering.

I actually thought I might go home after Corstorphine Hill but then I kept just thinking I'd do a wee bit more. So I did Craiglockhart and then the Braids...and then Blackford Hill. 









It really was hot and by now I was heartily sick of it but somehow felt that I HAD to do Arthur's Seat. I was gonna, I swear, but then I took a slightly funny route off Blackford Hill and before I knew it I was heading back through the very centre of town. It was such a relief.

This has got to be one of the poshest green-houses ever. You could only see this much over the wall.


By the end of that run I had run 6 out of the 7 hills and 16 miles and that felt like plenty.

The next day we had a coffee and cake run planned with Nick, which we had. I obviously didn't take any pictures though. I was  trailing the whole way.


During the week I had a new idea for a route around town incorporating Granton and Corstorphine Hill. I went  out and tried some of it, nearly dying off in the heat of the day. 



There's a prize for anyone who can tell me where this sign is.








On Saturday we were going to meet up with Nick for coffee, cake and a run again so I generously offered to take them on my new route. It's an...err...broad range of abilities and I had to shout instructions from behind while pegging along, praying for red men and excuses for stopping. Ollie probably saved my life early on by being at the far end of the Leith Links. 





Coming back into town from Corstorphine Hill, was very thirsty work, and when I mentioned the idea that maybe we should have a beer, the idea took hold. 




Today we ran 8 miles round town. I lost Peter for a little while but then he caught me up. I took pictures of the fish and the lotus flowers. Peter took the picture of me with Jesus. Jesus whispered to me that that isn't my best t-shirt.








2 comments:

Hillandglen said...

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.9508777,-3.2342739,3a,88.8y,109.86h,79.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS_TCRzmhxMr7YNEatSM-kg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Can I have a speedboat please? Thanks.

Yak Hunter said...

Haha Hill and Glen, Peter demonstrated the flaw in my quiz by googling it and finding it in about 5 seconds. I'm sorry. In answer to your question, as far as I know you can have a speedboat, but unfortunately I can't give you one :-).