Saturday 25 April 2020

Pandemoanium


I'm a little sick of this global pandemic. It's going on too long. And now I see a bunch of photos have disappeared from my last two blogs. Clearly the government. Or Blogger has an issue. Or the butterfly police.






Let's write a list of pros and cons. I'm always telling people to do that.

Coronavirus pros;

Peter is much happier since he stopped doing any work.
Apparently the air is cleaner.
It is genuinely much quieter although without the ambient noise actually smaller noises are more nippy.
Less cyclists on the cycle path.
Less people at work.
Some genuinely funny stuff on the social media - particularly enjoying the swing to home hair-cuts.
Smug enjoyment of not caring about the things that have stopped that other people like, like the cinema, restaurants, pubs.
Like the lack of traffic.
Enjoyed a bit of tourist free sight-seeing although that has worn off already.

Coronavirus cons;

Primarily sick of being stuck in the city.
What's the point of the weekend?
I went a run around Arthur's Seat and then the Meadows today. People everywhere. You have to go round them. Everybody was talking. Why doesn't everybody just shut up? The worst is people talking on their phones and gesticulating with their hands.
Everybody should exercise in silence. There should be a rule. Single file and no talking.
The cycle path is now full of families on bicycles instead of commuters, also joggers, also dog walkers. It's not bad in the morning on the way to work but on the way home it's chocca. A few times I've gone by the roads because they're not busy any more, but actually since week 3 of the lock-down, the roads have become noticeably busier again.
It's sunny but it's cold. Okay, that might not be the virus.
It looks sunny outside my work windows and when I got outside there's a knife-like easterly.
Maybe it's not going to get warmer this year. Maybe the earth has gone off its axis but people aren't telling us.

I'm on 1st terms with the first minister now and I have conversations with Nicola about what she should do. On the whole I think she's doing a good job but I'm tired of this lock-down. Obviously it's pointless making everyone stay in the city because that means there's less room. She could have people pass a test to show they understand how not to spread the virus and then give them a free pass to get out of town - although I can't imagine where would be quieter now. I think everywhere I go there are going to be people power-walking and waving their bloody arms about talking on their phones.
I read nearly every word of her recent paper where she addressed the issue of how we are going to e-a-s-e out of the lock-down. "Things won't be the same," she kept saying, "there will be a new normal". Alright, alright already. Start with people talking and eating in the cinema. Ban that.
Ban people looking at their phones in the street because that means they're not looking where they're going. Stop traffic going through the park. Why would traffic need to go through the park?

Stop the Thursday night clapping. It's stupid.

Maybe  I'll have more news for you next time.


No comments: