Sunday 8 April 2018

Hop Along Home Alone


So it was the Manchester Marathon weekend and "everyone" was heading down, except me. Well a selection of high class Dunbars and Peter and Craig Taylor from Porty.

I didn't have any time to feel disappointed during the week as simple daily tasks were still a struggle - like walking. Taking my bike up and downstairs for work was a significant challenge. By Friday it was all getting easier and I thought I could at least get out a bike ride on Saturday.

I never used to really feel that there was any need for padded shorts on a bike. Not that it doesn't get sore - but I felt like wearing a big pad didn't really help. However, on recent rides out I would have welcomed a bit of gel between me and the saddle, so I went on to Wiggle to get some bike shorts. There are super-expensive ones for Italian men with shaved legs, and in a lower price range there is DHB which I think is a brand specific to Wiggle and generally fine. They didn't have any of the padded shorts in stock so I bought bib-shorts, which are no more expensive. Why not?

Why not? Because either you wear the bib on the outside and you look just bizarre or you put the bib under your jumper and then you have to practically strip off just to have a pee.

Anyway, Peter took off with Nick Williamson to go to Manchester and I set off tout-seul upon mon velo for un cycle to East Lothian. I didn't feel very adventurous as I had no idea if my legs were going to act up or not, so I was thinking I'd just go to Gullane and have a paddle in the sea.
That coastal road can get old, however, and by Aberlady my legs were still fine so I decided to head inland up and over the hill to Haddington and beyond. To fortify myself for the journey I stopped off at the wee cafe in Aberlady though. I don't remember it being open before, or if it was, I couldn't tell. 
I had a big piece of chocolate and raspberry cake and a large Americano. I now have a loyalty card, too, so I have to go back. After that I was well set for the homeward journey.




I had a rough route in my head which I'd done years ago which would take me back through Pencaitland and then Cousland, back into Musselburgh and then home - but I went a bit wrong and went through Ormiston by mistake, onto Tranent and back to Musselburgh that way. I saw lots of things along the way I'd have liked to photograph but I wasn't in the mood for stopping. Which means I have to go back. It started to rain at about Tranent and then got heavier until I arrived back in Edinburgh pretty soaked but in a good state of mind having covered 41+ miles. I'd forgotten what a mess you get in in the rain with no mudguards.


I wasn't sure what to do with myself today. My legs had taken yesterday's punishment very well and they felt like they could run - but I wasn't really sure. It was a nice, warm and still day though so I thought I'd just go to Gullane and try running and definitely go for a paddle after no matter what.

It's been 9 days since I've tried to run which must be the longest in probably more than a decade. It wasn't terrible but not easy either. I just stopped every time they got stiff and sore. I'm not even sure stretching helps - I think just stopping helps. I ran Westwards and out onto the beach at Aberlady Bay. The tide was way out and the mini-subs were showing so headed out to see them. Then I walked and ran on the way back, having moments of running free and other moments where my legs really hurt.

The sea felt very cold at first and squeezed my legs like a vice, but then they acclimatised without having to go out and in again, so I think it's warming up. While I was standing there a girl headed out into the sea in just a swim suit. I would like to be that brave. I don't know if she went in or not.








When I got back to the car Peter had texted so I saw how some of the people had got on in Manchester. Stuart Hay lead the team in in 2.58. Peter was a minute over 3 hours and Craig Taylor was a couple of minutes behind him. Nick was disappointed with running 3.05. There will be beers drunk tonight and I will hear stories tomorrow.

No comments: